Monday, November 17, 2008

"the face is the mirror of the mind..."





Time to give due props to my dear friend and talented photographer, Greg Rannells. Many of you have kindly offered gushing compliments on the periwinklebloom images. And indeed, if I do say so myself they are lovely and absolutely capture the purest nature of a child. I am immensely grateful to know and work with Greg, often referred to as the 'Renaissance man'. A bit of boasting on his behalf, and I'm sure he's blushing, Greg's presence fills the air with a contagious energy. Really, he is one of the most inquisitive people I know and truly carries out his curiosities with the skill of an expert artisan. His career has been successfully filled with lifestyle shooting, commercial and corporate work, food and travel and discovering the cultural minutia across the globe. What fascinates me most however is his Renaissance spirit regarding bee-keeping, culinary perfection, organic gardening, metal tchotchke collecting, gorgeous book binding and the story-telling of family. He approaches his 'day job' with passion, where his soul embodies each image he captures. Greg's visual narratives both engage the viewer and pay homage to the subject. Even my toddler recognizes his nourishing energy. She recently asked for "the Greg with the circle face, the one like a smiley face." I couldn't have stated it better.

title quote by Saint Jerome

6 comments:

pve design said...

Passion reigns. Fantastic photos.
Art requires an eye for the curious and the passion for craft. Thanks for sharing Greg's work!

Anonymous said...

I was going to say something, but pve design said it better than I ever could

Mrs.French said...

sounds like a wonderful man...he is such a talented photographer....I can't stop staring at his photographs...so amazing...xo t

cindy* said...

i came across your blog recently...and i have to say you have a nice space here. and, some very kind words.

Julia said...

God bless you, Greg! For it's through your eye that Periwinkle bloom becomes the most enchanting creations in the world!

And I truly mean that Tyler :)

Olivia StClaire said...

beautiful... just beautiful!